What is Genotyping by Sequencing?
Genotyping by Sequencing, also known as GBS sequencing, is a powerful genetic screening method. Molecular breeding utilizes DNA markers (SNPs) that are tightly linked to phenotypic traits to assist in selection to deliver improved plant and animal species for agricultural use. As major drivers like population growth, urbanization and economic development feed into an ever-complex agricultural landscape, agricultural genomics has taken a central role to offer sustainable solutions for the global food challenge.
Among the many genotyping by sequencing platforms, such as PCR- and array-based methods, Next-Generation Sequencing (NGS) has proven to be an exceptional tool for the discovery, validation, and assessment of genetic markers. NGS offers high multiplex levels, robust call rates, and an economical approach to genotyping large numbers of SNPs and samples. Targeted genotyping by sequencing (GBS) can focus on thousands of markers to provide a cost-effective, high-throughput genotyping solution that is customizable, flexible, and scalable.
Some of the key genotyping by sequencing plant (plant genotyping) and animal molecular breeding applications and genotyping methods include:
- Marker-assisted selection (MAS)
- Genomic selection (GS)
- Trait mapping
- Quantitative trait locus (QTL) screening
- Marker-assisted backcrossing (MABC)
Learn more about genotyping by sequencing
AgriType® Targeted Genotyping by Sequencing Solution
Cost-Effective Solution to Accelerate Molecular Breeding
The AgriType Targeted Genotyping by Sequencing Solution is designed and developed to address large-scale genotyping projects in agrigenomics (the application of genomics in the field of agriculture). The AgriType solution is powered by an advanced primer design algorithm and an efficient ultra-high multiplex PCR-based target enrichment chemistry. AgriType genotyping by sequencing provides a cost-effective solution to construct NGS libraries to quickly and efficiently screen hundreds to tens of thousands of markers of interest to accelerate genotyping studies in fields such as aquaculture, livestock farming, and seed breeding.
- Scalable High-Throughput Genotyping System. Target thousands of relevant markers in the same assay.
- Fast Turnaround Time. Get custom assays delivered in 4 to 6 weeks. Use AgriType® genotyping solution to accelerate your large-scale molecular breeding programs. Our PhD-level expert scientists are here to provide speedy and comprehensive support throughout the design, ordering, and technology adoption process, including excellent after-sales technical support.
- Cost-Effective Solution. Process thousands of samples at a time on Illumina® platform.
- Minimizes consumable consumption. This single-plate workflow reduces consumable cost and loss of material from material transfer.
- Streamlined, Automation-Friendly Workflow. Generate sequencing-ready libraries in just 3 hours using a simple, three-step protocol that can be easily automated.
- High-Quality, Reproducible Results. Prepare high-quality NGS libraries with high marker call rates and efficient use of sequencing reads.
Learn more about molecular breeding
High Concordance with Whole Genome Sequencing Data
A 2,000+ amplicon AgriType custom NGS panel for plant breeding was developed for a large crop science company. To test the robustness of AgriType solution, 8 samples that were previously genotyped using whole genome sequencing (WGS) were used to construct AgriType target-enriched NGS libraries and the data compared. Of the 2,000+ markers tested, 99.5% showed high concordance with WGS results, and perfect concordance was obtained at the sample level.
|Threshold||% Markers||% Samples|
“We finally ran our pilot. The data is beautiful! Targets had great coverage and it was very uniform. The protocol is well-written and easy to follow. I’m not sure how Paragon Genomics does it but it is really impressive. Thanks so much to you and your custom panel design team! They did an amazing job! SUPER great experience.” - Scientist, Fortune 500 Agricultural Chemical Company
Streamlined and high-throughput targeted genotyping by sequencing solution
The AgriType® 2.0 genotyping by sequencing solution has been optimized to accommodate higher-throughput needs and offers a streamlined workflow that is easily automated in both 96 and 384 well plates. The multiplex PCR-based protocol can be completed in just 3 hours, with very little hands-on-time of 25 minutes via a simple multiplexing PCR followed by an indexing PCR.
DNA Purification and QC
2. Dilution Step
3. Indexing PCR
AgriType 2.0® Target Enrichment and Library Preparation
3-5 hours of total assay time, 20 minutes of hands-on time
High-Quality AgriType NGS Panels for All Panel Sizes
AgriType® panels show consistently superior sequencing specifications, accomodating a wide gamut of panel size, to meet all your research needs. AgriType 2.0 offers detection of up to 7000 targets in a single panel.
|% Mapping Rate||% On-Target Rate|
|Panel Size||Uniformity (%)||Mean Call Rate||% On Target Rate|
Genotyping By Sequencing: Frequently Asked Questions
Have a molecular breeding project in mind?
Enter your email below to schedule a free consultation with our AgriType Solution Team to learn how our best-in-class custom panel design services can help you advance your high-throughput genotyping project.